We are a nation of immigrants. Immigrants contribute to every aspect of our society. A rational immigration policy will assure that we have the workers we need, we provide shelter and opportunity for those endangered in their home countries, we are secure at all our borders, and we continue to be the land of hope and opportunity. Specifically, I believe:
- All undocumented immigrants who work hard and clear a background check should be eligible for green cards and be able to earn.
- The Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) needs increased support :
- Address the backlog of citizenship applications.
- Focus deportation proceedings on those with criminal backgrounds.
- Halt the separation of families if no criminality is involved.
- Discontinue sweeps that often result in legal immigrants being detained.
- Halt the use of private detention centers that are more interested in profit than the rights of the detained.
- Increase the funding of immigration courts to eliminate:
- Delays that keeps those with valid claims in limbo, often in detention;
- Delays that slows removal of those without valid claims;
- Questions about the integrity of the immigration justice system.
- Protect immigrants from exploitation by employers.