Until we have workable national regulations, we will be unable to address gun violence, because local regulations are inadequate. As a gun owner, I support the Second Amendment, but it is not an absolute right for anyone to own a gun. I support:
- Requiring a 24-hour waiting period to purchase a handgun;
- Eliminating the gun show loophole;
- Reinstating the assault rifle ban;
- Requiring owners to be licensed and insured;
- Requiring owners to be safety certified and certifications to be renewed on a regular basis;
- Banning items such as high-capacity clips and bump stocks;
- Eliminating protections for gun manufacturers.
We follow safety procedures with cars; why not with guns? With 310 million guns in the U.S., we must take common-sense steps to avoid tragedies.